Saturday, March 29, 2014

Time to dive in.......

Ok.  So.  (fingers tapping, heart RACING) I have a confession.  I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't even know what to write.  I've typed ten sentences and erased them at this point.  Ok.  Stream of consciousness?  Here goes...

Art.  My art saves me.  It makes me whole. And important. And something different from everyone else; it's just mine.  But I need to challenge myself.  I need to be brave.  I want my art to be something more-as selfish as that may be.  And so I want to share my art. 

When I was in grad school for art therapy, one of my instructor gave our class an assignment to make a piece of art for 7 days in a row. (And of course write a paper about the experience.)About two years later, I was thinking about that project and decided to take it to the next level.  I made art for 30 consecutive days.  I uploaded the photos to Facebook and allowed my friends to comment and ask questions.  A few months later I did it again.  I loved it.  I hated it.  It was kind of amazing and empowering.  

I have a number in my head (and my heart) of how long I would like this process to take and for now I think I will keep it there.  I'm not ready to start this again, but that may be exactly why I'm doing this. 

5 comments:

  1. "My art saves me." brilliant line (I look forward to subsequent posts-thanks for including me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas Merton once said "Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time". Embrace this journey. Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! You know I love your art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lauren - I've been reading your blog (Just finished catching up). You are brilliant and beautiful and funny! Miss you. XoXo.

    ReplyDelete