3.31.14: 3
total: 66
I offered to stay after school today for some students to have extra time for a test (I know, who else does that?!?) and in the process lost count of how many passes I wrote, yet come 4:00 PM I was the only breathing soul in my room. I specify because sitting on top of my print are three stuffed animal "souls" that some students have given to me over the year. But I digress...I did some work: called some parents, followed up with documentation, sent some emails, worked on some more paperwork. But I also ate a lot of chocolate and I'm wondering just how many mini snickers equal a full size bar. Let's pretend it doesn't add up to the king size version. And then I realized instead of eating my stress I needed to fold it....
I pulled a piece of graph paper from the top of my filing cabinet and cut out a 6 inch square to fold.
I <3 MATH
These are my first official mini cranes! There's something special to me about working on a small scale. Something about precision and patience and tenderness, as though the miniature version makes it more fragile.
I think this picture says a lot about how I was feeling at the end of the day. Sometimes I feel like I am just barely hanging on, I just hope they don't notice.
I'll drive into that sweet box any day!
On another note, I was asked about contributions. This wonderful person had a want to contribute to my growing cranes family, but also wondered if that was best. I am so very touched that something I am doing would move someone else to be creative! I love when art brings people together-it's one of the beautiful qualities of "making special" according to Ellen Dissanayake (or at least what I took away from her writings over five years ago). For this particular project, I think what's best for me now is to make each bird myself. I need to feel a sense of ownership. Having said that, if you happen to have an extra piece of paper you would like to part with, I would be more than happy to fold it into a new family member!




No comments:
Post a Comment